Adult 2 week Intensive Course with full social and cultural programme. (ASCE)
At BILA, we feel, that on many occasions adult learners want to have as much fun and enjoyment as possible when on a short language learning course. To this end, we have developed a course which is especially catered towards providing exactly that.
As well as learning English through conversation and dialogue driven classes, a full programme of activities and excursions will enable our students to get to know Belfast in general and Ireland in particular in a way which will be both unique and profound.
Additionally, professional people do not have the time to socialise and meet new friends, we hope that by studying and participating in our course, through the classes and through our activities and excursions programme, learners gel as a group and lifetime friendships are established.
• Course length - 2 weeks
• Start dates - The first and third Monday (or Tuesday if Monday is a public holiday) of every month
• Morning Programme - Part-time 15 hours per week (9.30 - 13.00) 30 minute coffee break
• Full Group Activity programme each afternoon and 4 evenings
• Group Excursion first Saturday. Dublin overnight stay in Hotel on 2nd Friday
• Sunday is a day of rest
The General English course helps students to communicate effectively and includes:
• Speaking and listening lessons
• Vocabulary development
• Discussions of news and current affairs
• Irish culture and customs
• Use of published texts like poetry, songs, extracts from classic literature
• Use of films and Drama
Placement and Assessment
Students who plan on participating in this course MUST have a minimum of First Certificate or level 5 English as recognised by the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEF). The places for this course are limited to 30 students over each 2 week duration of course. We try to have an even balance ratio of 15 men and 15 women on course. Minimum age for participation is 21.
Activities and excursions programme
Four Half Day Excursions by Private Coach:
• Derry City - Guided Tour of City Walls and Tower Museum
• Newgrange - One of Ireland’s 3 World Heritage Sites, whose Passage Tombdates to c 3,200 BC
• Omagh - The Abingdon Collection and Ulster American Folk Park
• Fermanagh - The Marble Arch Caves
One Night and one Day in Dublin (2nd Friday):
• Leave and Return to Belfast by train
• One Night in 3* Hotel in Dublin City
• Friday Night Dublin Literary Pub Tour
• Saturday visit to Guinness Factory in Dublin
Five Half Day Excursions:
• Titanic Belfast – Visit Museum of Belfast’s famous, ill-fated passenger liner
• Crumlin Road Gaol Tour
• City Hall Belfast Tour and St. George’s Market
• Queen’s University and Botanic Gardens
• Belfast Historical and Political Tour
Four Evening Activities:
• 2 Nights at Theatre, Cinema or Live Music Venue
• Traditional Irish Music Night
• Quiz Night in Belfast Pub!
One Full Day Excursion by Private Coach (1st Saturday):
• Giant’s Causeway, Dunluce Castle, Bushmills Whiskey Distillery and Carrick-a-rede Rope Bridge.